Wow, am I angry and astonished. After an arduous work-week and having a great time catching up with a very dear old friend of mine on Saturday night, I came home to find out that poetry I wrote many, many years ago has been hijacked by some website who had no authorization to post it. Seemingly, it stems from a poetry contest submission I made to a publisher called Poetry.com. After my research, I determined that Poetry.com has, in turn, authorized a website called Lulu.Poetry to post my poetry contest submissions for all the public to see - without my authorization to do so and with a copyright date of 2009 which indicates THEY own MY poetry. I am so confused. These were supremely personal poems that I wrote. I never thought that these would be so accessible and so free to read where I would earn no royalties from such publishing. I feel my rights and privacy have been violated. Heavens knows I have been violated enough. Don't get me wrong. I am very proud of my poetry. I am even more proud to have had one of my acadamic pieces published in a college-based publication in 2007. But I gave the college my permission to do so. And while there was no financial value for having my academic research published, it was permission I gave the college nonetheless. And when I gave that permission to the college, their publishing parameters were crystal clear. So at this point, you're probably wondering why then, for heaven's sake, would I post links to those very personal poems right here on my blog, especially if I wanted to protect my rights and privacy. Well, all I can tell you is this: The poems are MINE and I wrote them with rights reserved. They belong to me and wherever I authorize them to be published. Lulu.Poetry was not one of them. So there you have it. Metaphorically speaking, I am taking back what was never theirs to post or financially benefit from. Does anyone know a good lawyer?
ADDENDUM dated 9/7/2009: Prayers answered...somewhat. Just checked the LuLu poetry website that hijacked my poetry and saw that what they posted without my permission has seemingly been removed from their website. Thank goodness. How that happened, I haven't a clue...perhaps an Earth Angel smiled upon my soul. I must admit this pleases me to know this matter may not --after all, be taken into a court of law after all. Therefore, you may notice the hyperlinks to that location have been removed from my blog. Sharing my experiences through these creative writing processes are cathartic and significant in my evolution as a person, poet, author, and overall mostly as a student of life, but I can appreciate the idea that it has its place and certainly, a suitable viewing under the proper conditons through which they would exist and thus be publsihed. Many family members or friends are aware of it, but some are not. All my writings are highly personal and tailor-made to personal experiences written with facts firmly entrenched in non-fictional cirumstances. I can appreciate the idea that not everyone is into that sort of thing and in a manner of speaking, I have no interest in shoving that down your throat. As such, if someone is interested in discussing my sculptures or my writings which happen to extend far beyond what you may have seen or been aware of, please feel welcome to ask because you must know that while my work can be deep, I certainly don't take myself that seriously! Thanks for allowing me to share my random thoughts with you today. Best to you and yours,
~Mar
Bye good friends!
-
We have lost Cookie and aunt Marla in the past year. Me and my family are
super sad! But I hope this wont ruin Cookies fame still!
15 years ago




2 comments:
Some contests say they get ownership of submissions. Assuming that wasn't in the terms, I completely agree with you that this is totally wrong. You should absolutely have full say over your creative content. Have you tried emailing the company to have it removed?
Actually, Lulu.Poetry is on Poetry.com. Each of your poems has a link to vote for it.
Post a Comment